Mercer County, Pennsylvania
Project Manager: Jason DeFlitch, PE
Completion Date: Anticipated 2023
SAI was responsible for the design of the 196’ bridge carrying Kelly Road over the Shenango River using design build delivery. The project included tactical demolition and partial reconstruction of a historically eligible existing truss structure.
The physical features of this project include:
- 196′ single span structure fully spanning the Shenango River
- The divided bridge deck consists of two 10’ lanes, two 2′ shoulders and a 5’ sidewalk
- The superstructure is a single span steel girder structure with multiple splices
- Substructure consists of integral abutments on taper tube pipe friction piles
- Structure was constructed in two phases as the bridge is the only means of access across the stream
Other features of this project include:
- Specialized demolition to carefully remove portions of the existing historically eligible truss structure for reconstruction in an adjacent park
- Additional demolition of a two span girder bridge with grid deck
- Hydrology and Hydraulics to consider mid-stream causeway with access bridge
- Accounted for settlements and down-drag issues with the abutments.
- Refined analysis for redecking, erection and deck pour conditions
- Erection and deck pour of long span narrow steel structure utilizing lateral support
Project Owner: Mercer County with Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, District 1-0 oversight.
Client: Mekis Construction
Contact: Tyler Caldwell