Mercer County, Pennsylvania
Project Manager: Jason DeFlitch, PE
Completion Date: Anticipated 2023
SAI was responsible for the design of the 196’ bridge carrying Kelly Road over the Shenango River using Design-Build delivery. The project included tactical demolition and partial reconstruction of a historically eligible existing truss structure.
The physical features of this project include:
- 196′ single span structure fully spanning the Shenango River
- The divided bridge deck consists of two 10’ lanes, two 2′ shoulders and a 5’ sidewalk
- The superstructure is a single span steel girder structure with multiple splices
- Substructure consists of integral abutments on taper tube pipe friction piles
- Structure was constructed in two phases as the bridge is the only means of access across the stream
Other features of this project include:
- Specialized demolition to carefully remove portions of the existing historically eligible truss structure for reconstruction in an adjacent park
- Additional demolition of a two span girder bridge with grid deck
- Hydrology and Hydraulics analysis to consider mid-stream causeway with access bridge
- Accounted for settlement and down-drag issues with the abutments.
- Refined analysis for redecking, erection and deck pour conditions
- Erection and deck pour of long span narrow steel structure utilizing lateral support
Project Owner: Mercer County with Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, District 1-0 oversight.
Client: Mekis Construction
Contact: Tyler Caldwell