Mercer County, Pennsylvania
Project Manager: Jason DeFlitch, PE
Completion Date: Anticipated 2023
SAI was responsible for the demolition of the 187’ Parker thru truss bridge. The existing structure is considered historic and SAI’s selective demolition plan allowed for portions of the existing structure to be reconstructed in an adjacent park for future use.
The physical features of this project include:
- 187′ single span pin connected Parker thru truss bridge
- The bridge included grid decking wide enough for a single lane of traffic
- Previously the bridge was closed and a new structure built in an adjacent park for future use.
- The substructure consisted of ashlar stone abutments
Other features of this project include:
- Specialized demolition to carefully remove portions of the existing historically eligible truss structure for reconstruction in an adjacent park.
- Demolition utilized a single shoring tower with multiple crane holds
- Due to change in behavior of the structure, a few existing bridge members required strengthening
- The two end panel members were preserved and sent to shop for repair, coating and reuse in the new king truss in an adjacent park.
- Utilized crane on causeway accessed via a temporary bridge structure
Project Owner: Mercer County with Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, District 1-0 oversight
Client: Mekis Construction
Contact: Tyler Caldwell