Beaver County, Pennsylvania
Project Manager: Edward Terhune, PE
Completion Date: 2015
SAI was responsible for the erection plan for two railroad structures over the PA Turnpike.
The physical features of this project include:
- Two, two-span structures consisting of simple spans
- Span lengths varied between 76’-8” and 156”-6”
- Girders were built-up members consisting of web and flange plates with bolted connection angles requiring girder analysis for stability during erection
- Staging area for cranes and girder segments was limited due to the terrain and existing structures
- The two-girder system was connected via floorbeams at 2’-10” spacing
- Erection included 1.35 railroad factor for all picks weights
- Erection was completed utilizing PTC traffic control single lane closures and limited duration Plan X nighttime weekend road closures
- Critical erection period was during Plan X to erect and stabilize large heavy girders
- Critical erection was completed utilizing both a travelling crawler and stationary mobile cranes and included temporary supports until bolted girder splices were completed.
- Wind analysis was performed for selecting specific floorbeam installations during Plan X for initial girder stability.
Project Owner: Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission
Client: Alvarez, Inc
Contact: Albert Bustamante