SAI was responsible for the preliminary engineering, final structural design, and construction consultation services for this signature pedestrian bridge. A public/private partnership that included the URA of Pittsburgh, the City of Pittsburgh, PennDOT, East Liberty Development, and the Mosites Company were responsible for reconnecting two City of Pittsburgh neighborhoods separated for over 40 years. The new pedestrian bridge has become a focal-point in the East Liberty and Shadyside neighborhoods. East Liberty Development Inc. solicited and received funding from the Heinz Endowments and the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development to fund design services. The URA of Pittsburgh acquired construction funds from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
- 87′ single-span steel through girder bridge spanning the Norfolk Southern Railroad and the Martin Luther King East Busway.
- Artist Sheila Klein of Bow, WA was hired by East Liberty Development in cooperation with SAI to develop a signature pedestrian bridge that is destined to become a unique city landmark. Incorporation of artist designed features such as decorative lighting, cyclone fencing with light catching sequins, variable width painted walking surface, and vintage hand railing.
- Landscaping provided directly on the bridge and along Ellsworth Avenue.
- Safety features incorporated to meet the requirements of Norfolk Southern Railroad (NSRR), the Port Authority of Allegheny County (PAAC), the City of Pittsburgh, and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
- 2012 ABCD Outstanding Other Structure Award.
Construction Cost: $1,500,000.00